Social Media Etiquette
Imagine for a moment that you are a CEO, Manager, Recruiter etc. currently searching for the next great addition to your team. Finally after weeks of resume reviews, interviews and second interviews, you’ve narrowed your shortlist down to three and are now tasked with making the final decision on who to hire. How do you decide? Did you build a rapport with one candidate more than another? Does one have just a little bit more experience? Or, do you “Google” your candidates and see what pops up?
We all know that much of the world is obsessed with social media whether it’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., and as a result our access to information is instant. But how much thought are we putting in to what we share with the world? And, can what we post or comment on hurt us in the long run?
Are there rules for Social Media Etiquette? The following “12 Steps” were posted in the following article by Ilya Pozin from Forbes.com
- Should I target a speciﬁc audience with this message?
- Will anyone really care about this content besides me?
- Will I offend anyone with this content? If so, who? Does it matter?
- Is this appropriate for a social portal, or would it best be communicated another way?
- How many times have I already posted something today? (More than three can be excessive.)
- Did I spell check?
- Will I be okay with absolutely anyone seeing this?
- Is this post too vague? Will everyone understand what I’m saying?
- Am I using this as an emotional dumping ground? If so, why? Is a different outlet better for these purposes?
- Am I using too many abbreviations in this post and starting to sound like a teenager?
- Is this reactive communication or is it well thought-out?
- Is this really something I want to share, or is it just me venting
I think we could all benefit from running through these 12 items prior to posting or commenting. Remember, once it’s out there, you can’t take it back and should a potential employer come across posts, photos etc. that could be deemed inappropriate or offensive, you may no longer be the top choice!